PLACE: Universidad de Castilla-La Mancha. Facultad de Humanidades (Albacete, Spain).
DATE: Thursday 24th, Friday 25th and Saturday 26th of February, 2021.
DEADLINE FOR PROPOSALS: 30th of September, 2020.
The Spanish Association of General and Comparative Literature (SELGyC) is pleased to announce its 23rd Symposium, that will be held at the Universidad de Castilla-La Mancha, Facultad de Humanidades de Albacete, on February 24th, 25th, and 26th, 2021.
All the proposals will go through a peer-review proccess by Academic Committee of the Symposium will and the final decision will be forwarded to authors before November 15th, 2020. This evaluation will take into consideration the originality of the proposal, its suitability with the research lines of the symposium, its methodology, and its presentation.
- September th, 2020: Deadline for submitting proposals.
- November 15th, 2020: Deadline for announcing the selected proposals.
- December 15th, 2020: Deadline for the registration (early birds).
- January 15th, 2021: Final deadline for the registration.
SYMPOSIUM’S GENERAL TOPICS
LITERATURE AND ECOLOGYClimate change, ecological disasters, and the worries about the destruction of natural resources do not only concern politics and natural sciences, but also the Humanities. From there we are inclined to understand, to criticize, and to re-build the cultural models that have been responsible of the current state of our planet. We also have to meditate about the complex relationship between nature and culture, both synchronically and diachronically. In consequence, ecocriticism, the study of the relations between literature and natural environment, implies artistic and philosophic issues, but is also affected by pedagogical, political, or social perspectives. Ethics and aesthetics are narrowly linked in this field, and both can be approached from many different points of view. This Symposium seeks proposals related to any of the following topics, but not limited to them, being open to the acceptance of others that are also related to the field:
- Current ecocriticism
- Ecocriticism and comparative literature
- Ecocriticism and global concern
- Past, present, and future of ecocriticism
- Ecocritical theory and schools
- Representations of nature and culture: dystopias and utopias
- Ecocriticsm and travel literature
- Ecocriticism and didactics. Environmental education and literature
- Ethics, literature, and ecology
- Children’s literature and ecocriticism
- Ecocriticism and the arts: cinema, visual arts, photography, etc.
- The relation between literature and the visual
- The crossroads of literary and artistic languages
- Literature and Art
- Literature, photography, and cinema
- The illustrated book
- Comics and graphic novels
- Children’s illustrated books
- The book and the reader as a motif for visual arts
- Visual arts as a motif for literature
- Women and illustrated books: pioneers of illustration and new artists
- Writers-artists/ artists-writers
- The book of the artist
- African literary expressions
- The debate of language, languages, and the nature of African literature
- Self-view vs. foreign view
- The African canon
- Women in Africa
- African biography and autobiography
- The colonial experience
- Experiences of development and cooperation
- Colonialism, neo-colonialism, and post-colonialism
- Travel literature
- Race and identity
- African regional studies
- African nature
- Slavery and its experience
- Violence, dissent, and opposition
- Relations between China, Spain and the Hispanic world. Hispanic Orientalism and Chinese Hispanism, etc.
LITERATURE AND THE VISUAL ARTSFrom Antiquity, there has been a constant dialogue between literature and visual arts that has derived in the development of key concepts such as Horace’s ut pictura poesis, Simonides of Ceos’s view of poetry as talking painting, the ideal of the sister arts or the Poesque unity of concept. All that has crystallized in literary works in which their authors have acted as visual artists and, using resources like ekphrasis, among others, have “painted” or “sculpted” with words emphasizing the visual aspect of their texts. Of course, this dialogue has traversed both ways, and figurative artists have constantly attempted to “narrate” with their paintings and sculptures, or they have offered visual readings of literary texts. The Symposium seeks proposals related to any of the following topics:
VOICES FROM AFRICAThis thematic line aims to cover all the literary productions, along with other artistic manifestations, produced in Africa. Besides, any narration having Africa as its main scenario, whose main characters are Africans or are related to the continent will also be considered. Africa is distributed in more than fifty states and they are the home of languages that are not native to the continent, such as Arabic, English, French, Portuguese, or Spanish. Africa also hosts about a third of the world’s linguistic diversity. Some African languages have a wide literary tradition, while others are only spoken by a few hundreds and they are exclusively oral. The Symposium will accept proposals related to this variety, specially those linked to the following topics:
Papers will be presented in different sessions, as will be announced in the final program. Each author will have 15 minutes for presentation and at the end of each session there will be 10 minutes for debate.
Additional information regarding the Symposium and supplying further details relative to transport and accommodation will be published shortly.
PRECIOS DE LA INSCRIPCIÓN AL XXIII SIMPOSIO DE LA SELGYCPRIMER PLAZO DE INSCRIPCIÓN (HASTA EL 15/12/20)
- Inscripción con comunicación · 75 €
- Inscripción con comunicación estudiantes y persones en paro · 30 €
- Inscripción sin comunicación · 20 €
SEGUNDO PLAZO DE INSCRIPCIÓN (HASTA EL 15/01/21)
- Inscripción con comunicación · 90 €
- Inscripción con comunicación estudiantes y persones en paro · 40 €
- Inscripción sin comunicación · 20 €
PROCESO DE INSCRIPCIÓN AL XXIII SIMPOSIO DE LA SELGYC
El proceso de inscripción al XXII Encuentro es el siguiente:
- 1. Rellenar el formulario de inscripción incorporando, si es preciso, documentación probatoria de su situación de estudiante o desempleado.
- 2. Realizar el pago mediante Paypal antes del plazo estipulado.
FORMULARIO DE INSCRIPCIÓN
Recuerden que después de enviar el formulario, deben realizar el pago de la inscripción para que esta sea formal.
El pago del simposio deberá realizarse a través del sistema Paypal. Escojan la modalidad de inscripción que le interesa y siga las instrucciones de la página. El sistema de pago Paypal se realiza a través de una plataforma de pago segura.